Why Smith Brothers Insurance Needs You
As Controller, you will be responsible for overseeing the major facets of the Accounting department. You will be a key resource for all members of the Accounting team as well as management, helping to maintain and report on accurate financials in a timely manner. Our ideal candidate will have an Accounting/Finance background and be technically strong with Adaptive Insights and Excel. Your main responsibility will be to ensure that financials are accurate and balanced monthly, as well as preparing the financial reporting for key stakeholders both internally and externally. You will work closely with the CFO on Budget, Year End, and both internal and external Audits.
Smith Brothers Insurance has been in business for over 50 years, as an independently operated, Top 100 National Broker, focused on our purpose of Helping Others. We are multi-disciplined with expertise in Commercial Lines, Personal Lines, Employee Benefits, Surety, Group Retirement Plans including 401(k) and 403(b) Plans, Risk Management, and Financial Services.
You’ll bring a deep desire to leverage your skills to help us continue to grow and make others around you better. If you want to be part of a collaborative process with team members who look out for each other and are focused on growth and sustainability, this is an opportunity for us to talk.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Responsible for balancing and closing the General Ledger each month, proficient in account reconciliations.
- Will be responsible for our Vendor Management, ensuring that vendor contracts are reviewed for accuracy and helps in negotiation.
- Reporting on our financials both internally and externally to key stakeholders with thorough analysis and insight into variances and adherence to plan.
- Will review and approve Payroll every two weeks and be responsible for inputting payroll information into the General Ledger.
- Review and approval of all bank account reconciliations.
- Work closely with Practice Leaders and Regional Leaders to build budgets and forecasts for each Department and Region.
- Coordinate with our internal and external partners for Year End and Audits.
- Remains current on industry trends and information, tax law changes, legislation, coverages and technology.
- Work on projects and other work as assigned.
- Participate in internal learning and development sessions.
- Maintain confidentiality of client and company information and adhere to all personal and financial data privacy protocols.
- Follow department and company defined processes, procedures, and workflows, within specified timelines, to drive consistency and efficiency, with a focus on client experience.
- Support and demonstrate the core values of our agency: trust, respect, creativity, and fun.
- Support and live our Be Sure Service Standards, Helping Others Culture, and Quality Program.
- Ability to plan and organize effectively and manage multiple priorities while meeting deadlines and with strong attention to details.
- Ability to make independent decisions, research/analyze problems, and develop solutions to support our team and agency goals.
- Strong analytical and financial mindset with the ability to problem solve.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Comfortable and effective communication with stakeholders at all levels.
- Management capabilities preferred.
- Ability to learn and utilize agency management system and other technology essential for job functions including MS Office products, Applied EPIC, Adaptive Insights, and PowerBI.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office full suite of products.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with team to build trust and enhance team productivity and performance.
- Team player who consistently defaults to good.
- Commitment to continuous improvement to drive productivity and performance for our team, clients, and agency overall.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize time and competing priorities to reach objectives and meet deadlines.
- Desire and ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced and growing organization.
- Ability to adjust to shifting priorities.
- Flexibility to take on additional responsibilities and projects as needed.
- Strong work ethic, a tolerance for ambiguity, and demonstrated resilience and grit to overcome hurdles.
- Keep current with continuing education and maintain knowledge of changing industry standards and trends in order to stay relevant.
- 3+ years of experience in high-paced accounting department.
- Experience and familiarity with Month End and Year End close processes, GAAP, and internal/external audits.
- High School Diploma required, Bachelor and/or Master Degree in Finance or Accounting preferred.
- Previous experience working in a team environment and establishing positive working relationships.
- Commitment to continuous process improvement and team.
General Working Conditions
- Fast paced office environment.
- Ability to view computer monitors for extended periods of time.
- Flexible Work Environment.
Why Smith Brothers Insurance
We are a team of professionals who seek to consistently deliver our Be Sure brand promise, contribute to our organization being a great place to work, and work together to be a sustainably relevant company. When you work with Smith Brothers you can be sure our core values, collaborative culture, and expertise will reinforce your decision to partner with us. Our standard of excellence is the internal foundation for treating everyone based on our core values of trust, respect, creativity, and fun – leading to individual fulfillment through group achievement.
Smith Brothers Insurance LLC offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including Health, Dental, Vision, Short and Long-term Disability, Life, Long Term Care and 401K with employer match, employee assistance program, licensing and continuing education reimbursement, travel and expense allowance, internal & external meetings, and learning and development opportunities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org